"HaBait shel Ronit" was established in 2007 by Ronit Chayun, mother of a daughter with special needs, with the goal of improving and repairing the painful reality of life with disabilities, which often involves a sentence of social isolation. In 2011, "HaBait shel Ronit" became a nonprofit organization.
HaBait shel Ronit is a social development center for people with special needs, and provides a social community center for young adults and adults who are diagnosed with complex learning disabilities, mild and borderline retardation, autism, PDD, communication problems. The center also serves highly functional mental health patients and people with other syndromes and disabilities, visual impairment, hearing impairment, and people who are in need of social rehabilitation as a result of road accidents, life crises, severe illness and so forth. Most of them live in social isolation and need professional help to assist them in the recovery of social and community life.
The center serves families seeking a space for personal development, learning and social growth for their children, as well as guidance and support of the journey to more joyous and healthy lives.
Social and community life are amongst the most important and significant aspects of human development, and personal well-being. for people with special needs – social development is out of reach in the absence of guidance, constant facilitation and the creation of a variety of social opportunities among themselves and with the normative community. Creating such opportunities, out of love and based on the belief that disability does not define a person and his overall abilities, enable these wonderful people to lead a healthier and happier life, thus improving not only their lives but those of the entire human community.
"HaBait shel Ronit" provides a unique response in Israel, as it operates within a holistic-integrative perception which extend tools and skills which enable special need people to connect and interact both with their inners selves and with other individuals.
• Establish and operate an open-to-all center for high quality social meetings for special needs people.
A social center that is adjusted to the needs of people with special needs. This population experiences social isolation resulting in the lack of communication skills, and therefore requires a safe, protected and steady place where they could learn social skills
• Imbue living and social skills
Through organized, structured programs for personal and social development, which are backed by orderly lesson plans, in the fields of: multi-disciplinary art, culture enhancement, music, personal expression through singing voice, dance and movement, fitness, cooking and baking, photography and film related professions, housekeeping and personal management, social groups and more.
• Develop abilities that are required for independent life in the community
o Experiencing and practicing life skills
o Everyday skills required for independent life
o Training towards employment and productivity
o Developing self-advocacy abilities and coping with difficulties and hurdles
o Developing inter-communication skills
• Raising awareness within normative society regarding people with special needs
o Initiating mutual get-togethers of both communities
o Co-operations and joint projects
o Leisure and culture activities
o Work place training
o Media interviews and new stories, lectures in educational institutes
o Forming a volunteering platform to enable acquaintance with this population
Self and social development groups – Our nucleus activity
The facilitators of the social groups are certified and creative professionals, experienced in working with special needs people
• a space for learning and implementing social strategies, feedback and reinforcement of appropriate social codes, ongoing and consistent guidance and facilitation, acknowledgment and processing of personal and group situations, and teaching benign and normative social interactions
• Real time experience of social circumstances, through identifying the abilities and qualities of each member of the group
• A self-development quest, viewing each person as a whole
• Holistic-integrative facilitation, using a diverse palette of expressive tools such as art and exploration of a variety of materials, movement, music, game playing, expressive cards, psychodrama, playback theater and more.
The content is adapted to the personal process of the members of the group, pertaining, among other things, to:
• "Self as a whole" – identifying "self and I" beyond the disability
• "From weakness to power" – enhancing abilities and creating a personal vision
• "Facing the world" – self advocacy and sustainability
• "Me and You" – concepts, figuring out situations, establishing contact and understanding different types of relationships
• "Difference and belonging" – disability as a source of power, connection and acceptance of self and others
• "Tools and values" – patience, listening, respect and acceptance
• "The journey of emotions" – identifying and channeling feelings and cultivating the emotional language
• Social entrepreneurship and personal projects – enhancing self-expression abilities, establishing presence and improving self-image.
Classes, courses and workshops
• Art – creation focused on ecological thinking, acquaintance with a variety of materials and art schools, artistic work that is related to personal abilities and empowerment
• A journey through the space of music – an academic course on the psychology and sociology of music, through the connection between self and the universe
• The power of voice, the power of song – personal and group exploration through listening, playing and singing, both individually and in group
• "Kolit" – a professional choir, performing in events throughout the country
• Dancing – establishing social relationships through dance and movement experience, focusing on the eye-body-emotion matrix. Performances for the Center's community
• Fitness – personal and group workouts, interval practice, flexibility and stability
• Self-management and quality of life – preparation for independent life, combining theoretical and experimental study, focusing on healthy lifestyle, personal nurture and proper nutrition
• Drama and theatre – expansion of expressive abilities in voice, body and movement
• Creative research – construction workshop focusing on awareness, identifying and designing the immediate and personal surrounding
• Film-making – a magical and fascinating journey of making movies, hands-on experience of cinema.
• The Kitchen realm – cooking and kitchen skills, learning about products and essential nutrients, listening to our bodies: experimenting, conversing and joint work
Social events – multicultural social meetings
Social events are held once a month to create yet another wide and diverse social circle. Rich content related to our culture, connected to the land of Israel, to nature, creativity and beauty; resulting in happiness, enjoyment and fun.
• Singalong – social singing gatherings accompanied by live music, a stage for those who love to sing, with lyrics projected on a screen. Sheer musical enjoyment and social empowerment
• Dance party – the best in town! Professional D.J., live performances, drummers, folk dancing and refreshments
• Movie club – a social meeting at a "private cinema". Watching a selected movie, followed by discussion and conversation
• Tour Israel –
o Jeeps: trails accessible only to 4-wheel drive vehicles, wonderful experience of traveling, views, food and good company
o Day trips – visiting various sites in Israel. A social experience of historical, anthropological and ecological added value
• Travel the world – small groups accompanied by professional tour-guides, to explore the world and meet other communities. An unforgettable experience!
• Theatre, lectures, concerts – selected performances at the center and going out to theatre and concerts at reduced prices
• Tribal fire – group meeting around rituals, myths, singing and art focusing on selected topics, e.g. totem animals, seasons, stages in life etc.
Making a Difference – Enhancing
In order to maintain regular social and communal life, people with special needs depend on an adapted support system that will provide guidance and assistance in the recovery of the required functions and skills. The educational system fulfills this role until they are 21 years of age, but upon graduation many of them find themselves at their parent’s home, with no structured communal life, friends or employment, often hopeless, lonely and removed from society.
"Habait Shel Ronit" (Ronit's Place) offers a meeting place and a variety of social and cultural activities for people with special needs and provides various structured opportunities for personal and social development. Our unique model combines the development and nurturing of an active social community with professional services such as seeking employment and housing solutions as well as overall guidance and counseling for families. This is a unique response for the needs of special people and their families.
We are a nonprofit organization, and are not supported by any governmental agency. We believe that everybody deserves a chance, and want our doors to be open to every person with special needs who seeks our services, regardless of financial ability
Our donors are private people, corporations and organizations who want to take part in making a difference. Donations are recognized for tax purposes under Section 46 of the Israeli Tax Ordinance.
Each donation is significant; each leads to improvement in somebody's life.
Join us in making a difference, in creating change and bringing meaning and hope.